Pier 24 Photography • San Francisco, CA
January 2012 – Present
- Conceptualize, design, and produce printed materials, ranging from exhibition brochures to catalogues of over 300 pages.
- Write and edit press releases, website content, exhibition guide and catalogue text, and special projects.
- Curate exhibitions, both from the collection and varied lenders, for a 20,000 square foot space.
- Manage organization, cataloguing and conservation of the Foundation’s over 5,000 works.
- Restructure collection management system—streamlining management of digital assets, financial information and artwork transportation.
- Manage incoming and outgoing loan agreements with museums, galleries and individuals including issues related to certificates of insurance, image reproduction and condition reporting.
- Assist with installation of exhibitions, managing third-party partners—art handlers, vendors and subcontractors.
- Oversee the volunteer and internship programs which include over 30 participants annually.
- Manage the docent training program, through the development and production of docent readers.
- Manage the development of exhibition “cliff notes” readers for use by teachers and curators.
- Conceptualize and implement a digital cataloguing initiative. This will present all Foundation works on the website alongside curated selections for educational purposes.
- Conceptualize and implement educational resources pages for each exhibition, providing texts and audiovisuals to aid in a deeper understanding of the exhibited artists and exhibition as a whole.
- Develop a strategic outreach plan to increase attendance from the San Francisco Unified School District, including teacher training evenings, subsidized buses, and teacher-guided programming development.
- Schedule over 200 visits annually for schools and museums, providing guided tours for selected groups from institutions such as the Museum of Fine Arts Houston, Los Angeles Philharmonic and Stanford University.
- Partner with institutions such as the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and California College of the Arts to coordinate events and public programs.
- Manage vendors and logistics for approximately 25 major events annually of 50 to 200 guests. This includes events for Pier 24 Photography and hosting organizations such as the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Metropolitan Museum of Art, National Docents Symposium Council and Meals on Wheels.
March 2011 – Present
- Write about exhibitions, review books and interview artists for publications including American Suburb X, Aperture, Art21 Magazine, Art Practical, British Journal of Photography, and Foam Magazine.
- Write commissioned essays for contemporary artists to include in monographs and exhibition catalogs.
- Write press releases for galleries, coordinating with both artists and gallery staff.
- Proofread and copyedit artist statements, essays and press releases ensuring content is accurate, coherent and concise.
SELECTED CURATORIAL PROJECTS
- Looking Back: Ten Years of Pier 24 Photography (group exhibition)
Pier 24 Photography • San Francisco, CA • June 2019–April 2020
- Insights: New Approaches to Photography since 2000 (group exhibition featuring ten California-based photographers)
PHOTOFAIRS • San Francisco, CA • January 2017
- Return to Reason (group exhibition featuring Stephen Gill, Yamini Nayar, Chloe Sells, Lorenzo Vitturi and Hannah Whitaker)
Gallery Wendi Norris • San Francisco, CA • January 15–February 28, 2015
- Photographers Looking at Photographs: 75 Pictures from the Pilara Foundation Collection. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2019. (editor and contributor)
- Looking Back: Ten Years of Pier 24 Photography. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2019. (editor and contributor)
- This Land. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2018. (editor)
- The Grain of the Present. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2017. (editor)
- Collected. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2016. (editor)
- “Erik Kessels in Conversation with Allie Haeusslein” in Secondhand. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2015 (contributor)
- Conversations. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2015. (editor and contributor)
- “Meghann Riepenhoff and Allie Haeusslein in Conversation” in Littoral Drift. Self-Published, 2015. (contributor)
- “Introduction” in Patsy Krebs: Fugue. Steamboat Springs, CO: Steamboat Springs Arts Council, 2013. (contributor)
- “Sun Strokes” in Chris McCaw: Sunburn. Richmond, VA: Candela Books, 2012. (contributor)
- “Introduction” in Noah Wilson: Ground Truthing. Unpublished. (contributor)