PIER 24 PHOTOGRAPHY • San Francisco, CA
January 2012 – Present
- Direct conceptualization, design, and production of all printed materials, from brochures to exhibition catalogues.
- Manage designers, copyeditors, and pre-press and production teams.
- Commission essays from curators and critics for exhibition catalogues.
- Develop exhibition “cliff notes” readers for use by teachers and curators.
- Develop in-house docent readers for training volunteer staff on exhibitions.
- Collaboratively curate one exhibition annually for 20,000 square foot space, drawing from the Foundation’s permanent collection, outside lenders, and artists.
- Write press releases.
- Produce digital press kits.
- Assist in management of third-party partners—art handlers, vendors, and subcontractors—for installations.
- Oversee the Head of Operations and guest services staff.
- Hire, train, and supervise volunteers and interns, which includes over 20 participants annually.
- Manage collection comprising over 5,000 works.
- Restructured collection management system, streamlining management of digital assets, financial information, and history of artwork movements.
- Oversee all aspects of incoming and outgoing loan agreements with museums, galleries, and individuals.
- Maintain the Foundation’s website, including a custom-built appointment system.
- Conceptualized a digital cataloguing initiative, redesigning the website to present Foundation artworks online.
- Conceived of educational resources pages for each exhibition, providing sourced texts and audiovisuals to foster a deeper understanding of the exhibited artists and exhibition itself.
- Liaise with community partners—such as the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, California College of the Arts, and Headlands Center for the Arts—to develop collaborative programming.
- Develop exhibition-specific press outreach strategies, collaborating as needed with journalists, editors, and photographers.
- Manage vendors and logistics for approximately 20 events annually of 50 to 200 guests.
Freelance Critic & Editor
March 2011 – Present
- Regularly commissioned to review exhibitions and examine artist monographs for publications including Aperture, British Journal of Photography, and Foam Magazine, and to contribute essays and interviews for monographs and exhibition catalogues.
- Author press releases for galleries, coordinating with both artists and gallery staff.
- Edit and proofread artist statements, essays, and press releases ensuring content is accurate, coherent, and concise.
STUDIO HENRY WESSEL • Point Richmond, CA
June 2019 – Present
- Establish a collection management system for the vast archive of the late photographer, Henry Wessel, organizing, cataloguing, and managing an inventory of over 10,000 photographic prints.
- Create workflows and procedures for ongoing collection management.
- Develop and maintain a website for Wessel’s work.
THE THREEPENNY REVIEW • Berkeley, CA
April 2020 – Present
- Identify photographers and secure print-quality reproductions—from artists, galleries, or estates—for use in quarterly American literary magazine.
SELECTED CURATORIAL PROJECTS
- Looking Back: Ten Years of Pier 24 Photography (group exhibition)
Pier 24 Photography • San Francisco, CA • June 2019–April 2020
- Insights: New Approaches to Photography since 2000 (group exhibition featuring ten California-based photographers)
PHOTOFAIRS • San Francisco, CA • January 2017
- Return to Reason (group exhibition featuring Stephen Gill, Yamini Nayar, Chloe Sells, Lorenzo Vitturi and Hannah Whitaker)
Gallery Wendi Norris • San Francisco, CA • January 15–February 28, 2015
- Photographers Looking at Photographs: 75 Pictures from the Pilara Foundation Collection. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2019. (editor and contributor)
- Looking Back: Ten Years of Pier 24 Photography. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2019. (editor and contributor)
- This Land. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2018. (editor)
- The Grain of the Present. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2017. (editor)
- Collected. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2016. (editor)
- “Erik Kessels in Conversation with Allie Haeusslein” in Secondhand. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2015 (contributor)
- Conversations. San Francisco: Pier 24 Photography, 2015. (editor and contributor)
- “Meghann Riepenhoff and Allie Haeusslein in Conversation” in Littoral Drift. Self-Published, 2015. (contributor)
- “Introduction” in Patsy Krebs: Fugue. Steamboat Springs, CO: Steamboat Springs Arts Council, 2013. (contributor)
- “Sun Strokes” in Chris McCaw: Sunburn. Richmond, VA: Candela Books, 2012. (contributor)
- “Introduction” in Noah Wilson: Ground Truthing. Unpublished. (contributor)
LECTURES, PANELS, AND JURYING
- Portfolio reviewer, Medium Review, San Diego, CA, October 20–22, 2016
- Juror and curator, Size Matters, Medium Festival of Photography, Low Gallery, San Diego, CA, October 22–November 12, 2016
- Juror, Critical Mass, Photolucida, virtual, 2017–present
- Advisory Board, PHOTOFAIRS, San Francisco, 2017
- Panelist, “Meet the Artists of Insights: New Approaches to Photography since 2000,” PHOTOFAIRS, San Francisco, January 28, 2017
- Juror, Landscape exhibition, Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, CO, 2018
- Portfolio Reviewer, Meeting Place Portfolio Review, FotoFest, Houston, TX, March 9–12, 2018
- Portfolio reviewer, Medium Review, virtual, March 4–5, 2021
- Juror, BJP International Photography Award, 2021
- Richard Rothman and Allie Haeusslein in Conversation, virtual talk organized by STANLEY/BARKER, October 2021
- Mentor to artist Paula McCartney, 2020 McKnight Book Artist Fellowship, 2021–22
- Panelist, “Discussion with McKnight Book Artist Fellowship Recipients,” April 23, 2022